Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kitchen Chalkboard...

I have finally jumped on the "chalkboard paint bandwagon" and made a chalkboard for my kitchen. Just in case there is anyone out there who has not made one of these yet, here is how I made mine.

I've had this mirror for several years now. It has moved from house to house, and was cracked somewhere along the way. I always intended to replace the mirror, but never got around to it. Then, it dawned on me that I could paint it with chalkboard paint, AND since I have been wanting a chalkboard in my kitchen for a while now, this old mirror fit the bill perfectly! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?
I liked the original color of the frame, but I didn't think it would work very well in my kitchen, so I decided to paint it an olive green. Since I was gonna paint over the mirror, I didn't bother with taping off the frame. I just went to town with the spray paint.
Then, as I was painting it , my hairline crack turned into a complete break and the mirror fell out of the middle. What now? I was gonna buy a new piece of glass for the center, but when I got prices, I found out since it was an odd shape and size it was rather expensive. That was obviously out, but my mother in law had the suggestion of using a really thin piece of wood. She had some on hand, and even got it cut to size for me.

Next I just put 3 coats of chalkboard spraypaint on it, letting each coat dry an hour or so. I had an old white shelf that I no longer use and painted it to match then put it to work holding my eraser and chalk.
I am already putting it to use, and the wood is working fine. The key was using a really smooth piece of wood. I actually used luan, which is typically a subfloor, but it was thin enough to fit in my frame without being too heavy.
Now back to the office for me. I am trying to turn it into my official craft room, and the mess in there right now is scary! I hope to have it all wrapped up by sometime next week to show you. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

julie & joe said...

Very cute!

Stacie said...

Hmmmm...I think that I have an old unused mirror in the basement. Thanks for the inspiration!

Em said...

You have great "junk"! Thanks for stopping by and good luck on getting that craft room done!

Tara said...

Great idea to add a little shelf for the eraser & chalk!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin