Monday, November 9, 2009

Scrap Fabric Balls...

I originally found a tutorial for these online, but I have no idea where. I have been making them again lately because they are a wonderful way to use up old scraps, and if you sew very much you have a lot of those!
For your materials, just get all your scraps together. I like mine really thin, so if they aren't already that way I cut them a time or two. Also, make yourself 2 cardboard "donuts". I made mine about 4 inches wide with a 1 1/2 inch center circle.

Now the fun starts. Just wrap your fabric around the "donut" and through the center. When one strip ends, start another. Keep doing this until you can't fit any more fabric through your center hole.
Next you cut the edges all the way around.

Tie a piece of ribbon or another scrap of material around the center. Make sure it is very tight so that your scraps don't slip. Cut or pull your "donuts" out of the center, and fluff your ball.
Find a cute place to hang it and enjoy all your crafty goodness. I think a bunch of these would be perfect on a Christmas tree, but I love them too much to only have them out at Christmas. Mine hang several places. I think they are kind of like tassels, and use them on lamps, knobs, and even furniture.
I used Western fabrics on this one for Walker's lamp.


I'm gonna post this at Chris's "I Can Make That" Christmas party.
And at ASPTL's DIY Day


DIY Day @ ASPTL


19 comments:

Kathleen said...

So stinking cute! I wish I had enough scraps laying around to do this!! I'm working on my fabric inventory!
Thanks for sharing!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

I'm with Kathleen. These are cute and I need some more scraps! :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

They are soooo cute...just gotta make some of these little cuties...thanks sooo much for showing us how to make them.

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I love these. Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

This is a great project. Thanks for the tutorial. I have lots of scraps that I could utilize for this project!
Jane

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

How cool is this!!! It's like a pom-pom but with fabric instead of yarn. Love it!
Nancy

Unknown said...

Those are adorable! Now, I just need to get a sewing machine, so I can start sewing a lot, so I can have fabrics scraps! :)

Kiera said...

Yep I am in LOVE!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Cute! I love the shape of those. Adorable!

XOXO
Jen

Melissa Stover said...

i think i could even do that.

Christi said...

Very cute!

Valerie said...

I love this idea! I have filed both of your tassle how to's away at thecraftersfilebox.blogspot.com.

Thanks so much for sharing!

rtgaffney said...

Too cute!! I'm going to make one for my daughter's ceiling fan pull! Thanks for sharing!!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Good idea! I can totally use my scraps to make one. Thanks for sharing!
Linda

BlueCastle said...

These would look awesome on a Christmas tree - like you said. So cute, Mandi!

Nobody Puts Mama In A Corner! said...

LOve these!!! How cute would they look on my Christmas tree!!!!! Oh my!! Adorable!
Mama Holli

Hopeful Housewife said...

I looked all over for a tutorial for how to do these for my tree & couldn't find one! Oh well there is always next year!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

What a great idea... they are so adorable!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Always wondered how to make those. Thanks for linking.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin