Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Weight Watcher's Wednesday...

Week 1- Well I am just so darn proud and excited that I might be dreaming,if I am don't dare pinch me because I like this dream! I weighed this morning and had lost 6 lbs. in the past week! I am thrilled. The key to this week's success? I have worked really hard to make sure my meals are planned and I have groceries in advance. In the past that is always how I fall off the "Good Choices" bandwagon and back on the float to Sugar Mountain. Not this time, no siree!

I broke it down into a pretty simple system and this is how it works. I make myself a list and give myself 3 or 4 options for breakfast, snacks, and lunch. I buy groceries and plan for those choices so whatever my mood that day, I'll have it covered. We eat dinner as a family, so I plan out 6 dinners for the week and one night for dining out. I figured my points for each item out in advance, and and when I get hungry I just look at my little list and grab what sounds best and works in my point allowance. This way I am not rummaging through the pantry and freezer full of all the boys' snacks and ice cream. I have my little area of food and steer clear of theirs when I am hungry.

I am also keeping a notebook this time around. I am actually writing down all of my recipes and their point conversions so that I don't have to hop on the internet when I need to get a shopping list together. The notebook has helped tremendously. I can also look back on my food journals for the past week and see what I ate, etc. This is not a big deal now, but down the road when the weight doesn't come off as quick I will be able to see what I ate, etc.

As promised, I am gonna share my favorite recipe from this week and some other faves I found. I have the biggest sweet tooth ever. As you can tell that has not worked in my favor, anyway... I LOVE Skinny Cow ice cream products. They taste like regular ice cream and the points are good. Even Lon likes them and he is very picky.

These mint chocolate dippers are GREAT, and at only 1 pt. I love 'em
These chocolate fudge lowfat cones are heavenly! 3 pts. each and worth every one! They even have chocolate in the cone. YUM!

Now, for the recipe this week I am gonna tell you my Lowfat Chili recipe. I have never actually shared a recipe that I did on my own before, so I can't make any promises, but it works for me.

Mandi's Lowfat and Fabulous Chili~
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey (the leanest you can find)
15 oz. can of Hunt's Chili Tomato Sauce
8 oz. can of Hunt's Tomato Sauce
15.5 oz. can of Hanover Kidney Beans
1 packet of McCormick dry chili seasoning

Directions:
Brown the ground turkey. Drain off any fat and add all the other ingredients into either a big pot or a crock pot. Stir well, and simmer on low for about 2-3 hours.

*You can let it cook longer if you like. It will only improve the flavor. If you are gonna let it cook much longer I would add 1 cup of water to make sure it doesn't get too dry.

When I figured this I did it as 4 servings/5 points each. Being that I am a scientific genius, precision is key (sorry I'm choking up at my sarcasm here), I actually divide it evenly into 4 bowls and refrigerate the ones we don't eat so it is already divided for later.

For any of my Weight Watcher's buddies out there, how was your week? Any new finds you would care to share?

8 comments:

Jennifer R. Hamilton said...

That is WONDERFUL Mandi! So proud of you! I'm so glad you can see your hard work paying off!! I'll have to try your 'sweet tooth' suggestions for my house! Shann and Jack LOVE ice cream...so this would be a much healthier means than the 'sit down and eat a whole half gallon in one sitting' that they do!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I've been so looking forward to this post! I can't wait to try Skinny Cow and am glad you posted about them. Wasn't sure if they were good. I recently made a chip salsa dip. I used a 1/4 cup salsa [0 pt], 2 tbsp sour cream [1 pt] and an ounce of cheese. Combine. You could warm in the microwave but I don't have one so I didn't. Serve with an ounce of tortilla chips [3 pt]. A bit of a higher pt snack but I also didn't use anything fat free.

WW has been good so far. This week has been tough as I forgot my points slider when I went to Pa. Tried to load up on fruits and veggies though. Found myself wanting to make good choices. Plan on working out on the eliptical tonight.

Amy said...

You inspire me. I am just a blob of yuck...sitting at my computer with NO desire to work out or even watch what I eat... I have got to get a clue! I will stay tuned... good luck and way to go!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

It is so encouraging to read your post. I am going to start WW as soon as I can after my baby is born...and I hope to have as much success as you! :) Congrats!
Carrie

Shannon said...

Go you!!! That is wonderful! I'm trying to eat better and excercise too. I'll have to get some of those Skinny Cow things!

Ginny said...

Way to go girl!!! I'm very proud of you. I just wanted you to know that I check your blog often and download pictures to share with Gigi. Hope to here from you soon.
Love
Aunt Ginny

Tricia said...

CONGRATS! What an awesome loss! :) WW is such a fantastic program...can't sing them enough praises. I LOVE that they teach you how to eat healthy, make changes you can live with and thus maintain the weight loss after you're done. It's really more of a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I'll get on my other computer later and send you some awesome sites that have great recipes with points posted (although, you'll want to verify the points...not always accurate)
Anyways...Congrats again! That might have just been the encouragement I needed to get back on the program and finish my last 10 lbs of loss. I lost momentum but I've thankfully been able to maintain my loss for the last 6 months! :)
Oh, and are you on facebook?

The Smith Family said...

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog and saw that your doing Weight Watchers. I love how well your doing. Keep up the good work. I love the Weight Watchers Wednesday badge and have posted it on my blog. You are a great inspirations :)

Also, I Love the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches which are 2pts. YUMMY :)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin