Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rice Therapy Bags...

I made some Rice Therapy bags for friend to give as Easter gifts this week. I have had these in my idea file for a while now and was pleased with how they turned out. There are tutorials for these things all over the internet, but for mine I just used rice with some essential oils. I originally planned to put wheat in them, but the internet said there had been a lot of incidents of fire with the wheat, and I wanted no part in that! The first one I made was just a rectangle and the same material on both sides. I decided I would like something softer on the skin so I ended up using a flannel on one side and a prettier material on the other.




I actually made one for myself and used it the other night. It felt wonderful on my shoulders. So what do you think?
**EDIT** After I posted this, someone inquired what these were used for. I totally forgot to mention that, didn't I? Sorry Hat Chick! They are put in the freezer to act as a cold compress or microwaved for 2 mins. to act as a heating pad. They put off a "moist heat" so it is wonderful for aches, pains, arthritis, etc.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great gift idea....love the birdie fabric! will have to remember these for Christmas gifts...good job.
pb

Stacie said...

I bought something similar at a fair last year, but mine has corn in it. Yours sounds much better, 'cause every time I warm mine in the microwave, I have a sudden craving for popcorn! I also love the bird fabric--too cute!

BlueCastle said...

Those are so beautiful. I make corn bags too. :) I make them for our natural food co-op and it's surprising how many people buy them. I had never heard of rice bags, or corn bags until just a few years ago. I used rice bags when I was in labor with my second son, and they really saved my life. :)

The Hat Chick said...

I've never heard of rice bags (clearly I need to get out more). What do you do with them?

Bryce's momma said...

These are beautiful! My SIL gave us one for Christmas a few years ago! We love it! It is a great "budget" gift. Rice is cheap! Ours is horseshoe shaped. I like your idea of flannel for the softness! I'm loving your owl fabric! So cute! Great job Mandi! I wonder if you could make some flat rectangle ones for the CRAMPS and lower back! lol. Seriously, like a heating pad. That other comment made me think of it!

Anonymous said...

You are just full of wonderful things Miss Mandi! I love these:)

somecallmechristy said...

Oh wow! They are gorgeous! Thanks for always being willing to share all your secrets with everyone to use! I hope mine turn out well...but I am sure not this beautiful!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin